The footwear sector is a key part of the broader fashion industry. However, in contrast to the textile sector, the grievances of the production processes of the leather and shoe industry are largely unknown. Change Your Shoes is a European initiative which stands up for an ethical, sustainable, and transparent shoe supply chain.
We activate people as consumers and citizens to demand better working conditions for the makers of out leather shoes. We carry out research on the working and environmental conditions in the leather and shoe production as a basis for the dialogue with EU citizens, decision-makers, and shoe brands on these grievances. We also collaborate with trade unions and labour rights groups and support their struggles for better working conditions in production countries.
WE ARE CALLING FOR:
- Workers in the shoe supply chain have the right to a living wage.
- Workers in the shoe supply chain have the right to safe working conditions.
- Consumers have the rights to safe products and transparency in the production of their shoes.
CHANGE YOUR SHOES is a partnership of 15 European organizations and 3 Asian organizations plus 20 associates.
- Clothing brands and companies to set concrete, measurable steps throughout their supply chain to ensure garment workers get paid a living wage.
- National governments in garment producing countries to make sure minimum wages are set at living wage standards.
- European governments to implement regulation to ensure companies are responsible for the impact they have on the lives of workers in their supply chain.
The Change Your Shoes Project is supported by the European Commission, through DG Development and Co-operation – EuropeAid. The contents of this website are the sole responsibility of the Trade Union Rights Centre and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union or the European Commission.
Trade Union Rights Centre is a partner in the Change Your Shoes project, not the leading organization. The leading organization in this project is Südwind Agentur – Austria.
- Südwind Agentur – AUSTRIA
- Federación SETEM (SETEM) – SPAIN
- INKOTA-netzwerk e.V. – GERMANY
- Gender Education, Research and Technologies foundation (GERT) – BULGARIA
- NaZemi – CZECH REPUBLIC
- Globalization Monitor – HONG KONG SAR CHINA
- Trade Union Rights Centre (TURC) – INDONESIA
- Buy Responsibly Foundation (BRF) – POLAND
- Fair Trade Center (FTC) – SWEDEN
- Slovak Centre for Communication and Development (SCCD) – SLOVAKIA
- SÜDWIND e.V. – GERMANY
- Clean Clothes Campaign Denmark (CCCDK) – DENMARK
- Labour Behind the Label (LBL) – UK
- Umweltschutzorganisation GLOBAL 2000 – AUSTRIA
- Pro Ethical Trade Finland (PETF) – FINLAND
- Society for Labour and Development (SLD) – INDIA
- CENTRO NUOVO MODELLO DI SVILUPPO (SNMS)- ITALY
- FAIR – ITALY